Black pigeons are beautiful and intriguing. Let us take you through some key facts about them.
Pigeons are black, as well as other colors with shades of red, blue, and even silver. Through selective breeding, we can also get different shades of black along with other unique colors. Fancy pigeons are used for exhibitions and for domestication.
There is a lot to learn about black pigeons. So, let us begin.
Are pigeons black?
Pigeons can be black, along with other colors such as brown, white, or gray. This is because of selective breeding that has allowed domestic pigeons to develop unique coloration and patterns. Feral pigeons, being descendants of the domestic ones, have also developed unique color patterns.
Image Credits: “Black Pigeon” by Ozzy Delaney is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Are black pigeons rare?
Black pigeons are not rare and are considered to be animals of the least concern by the IUCN or the International Union for Conservation of Nature. These pigeons can be found in plenty of urban locations and rural settings. Besides, there hasn’t been any noticeable population decline among these species.
We must add that habitat destruction is a common occurrence today, and that has led to a significant decline in the population of animals and birds alike. As such, the pigeon population, in general, is thought to be declining, but the drop hasn’t been significant.
Black pigeon breeds
There are several breeds of black pigeons. Let’s take a look at their types and characteristics:
|Bird Breed||Characteristic||Place of Origin||Average Lifespan|
|Nun Pigeon||Can fly at high altitudes and tolerate all climates.||Europe||6 years|
|French Mondain||Excellent for meat production and for show purposes.||France||7-10 years|
|Old Dutch Capuchine||Graceful birds which are best for exhibition and for raising as pets.||Netherlands||5-6 years|
|Black Imperial Pigeon||Large and heavy birds with different varieties.||Papua New Guinea||4-8 years|
What does a black pigeon symbolize?
Image Credits: “black pigeons” by Irene Grassi (sun sand & sea) is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Black pigeons, or pigeons in general, symbolize good omen. They are associated with fertility, good luck, love, and peace. Thus, in most cultures around the globe, pigeons building a nest in your house or visiting it often is believed to be very auspicious.
How to breed black pigeons?
There are several steps/ways to breed a black pigeon. Let’s take a look at them.
- First things first, black pigeons can be bred from other black pigeons. One bird can be of any color, but the other needs to be black.
- Black pigeons can also be bred from two recessive reds, but they carry the recessive genes.
- In order to breed black pigeons, you need to ensure they feel safe in their environment and are not unsettled by the presence of other predators. Therefore, investing in a good pigeon coop is of utmost importance.
- Black pigeons must be given a proper diet that keeps them fit and healthy for breeding. Sprouted seeds are one of the best additions to a pigeon’s diet.
We must add here that pigeons breed throughout the year, with spring and summer being peak breeding months. Besides, they start breeding quite early, at merely six months of age.
Black pigeon characteristics
There are several characteristics that distinguish black pigeons from other varieties. Let us take you through some of them.
- Black pigeons are usually larger than other pigeon varieties with long tails.
- Black pigeons may have wings of a different color. Usually, they have silver or bluish-gray streaked on their wings.
- On average, black pigeons weigh around 661-665 grams and are approximately 15 to 17 inches tall.
- Black pigeons usually have red eyes and some red in their legs as well.
- Black pigeons are usually found in elevated areas (around 200 to 1800 meters above sea level)
- Black imperial pigeons are not usually categorized as migratory birds but are found in various parts of the world, particularly in forest regions.
- There are several varieties of black pigeons that are used for exhibition due to selective breeding.
- Most pigeons are friendly creatures, and black pigeons are no exception. They are unlikely to attack humans and are quite social overall.
- Like all pigeons, black pigeons are extremely intelligent and can recognise their images in the mirror.
- Similar to all pigeons, black pigeons can see all colors, including ultraviolet light.
Black imperial pigeon varieties
Image credits: “COLLARED IMPERIAL PIGEON” by cuatrok77 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Black imperial pigeons are of various types, such as:
- Goliath Imperial Pigeon
- Collared Imperial Pigeon
- Vanuatu Imperial Pigeon
- Chestnut-Bellied Imperial Pigeon
- Pinon Imperial Pigeon
- Island Imperial Pigeon
Pigeons are among the most beautiful bird species and are also quite easy-going and low-maintenance. Generally speaking, pigeons have a higher lifespan when they are domesticated than when they are left out in the wild. That being said, pigeons are relatively unthreatened because their population is too large, and they adapt to different habitats quickly.